Joint pain is not restricted to any age or gender. It can happen to anyone and at any point of time. Although there is no dearth of medicines, ointments, and much more, assuring you magical work on the pain, yet there is no quick escape from it.
However, the good thing is that you can simplify your problem without investing much. How? ‘Exercises’- is the answer. If you choose or hope to relieve symptoms of chronic joint conditions though exercises, you must know few things beforehand. Explore them here;
Stretching is Must: When it is about maintaining flexibility, loosening or lengthening tight muscles, stretching helps relieve pain. Here is a list of stretching exercises you can try:
- Hamstrings: Just lie on your back. Placing a towel under the arch of one foot, you need to use the towel to raise the leg, straight up in the air. Continue with the same until you feel a hamstring stretch. This needs to be repeated with the other leg.
- Calf: For this, stand on a stair, making your one heel hang down. You have to do it in a way that you feel a calf stretch. Now, switch the feet and continue.
- Glutes: This adds a stretch in your glutes. Simply, lying down on your back gently pull both knees up toward your chest until you feel a stretch.
- Quads: It is one of the most popular stretches. Stand straight and then grasp the ankle of one leg, pulling to the buttocks. Here you need to practice this if your knee can tolerate this. In case, it cannot, try to grasp something in front of you for balance. Meanwhile bring your foot back and place it on a chair behind you.
Add Cardio to Your Workout: You can always switch to aquatic exercise as these serve to be a good alternative in joint pain. Especially, when higher-impact cardio like running leads to too much discomfort, such alternatives can be helpful.
Strengthen Yourself: Do you have strong muscles? These carry weight and relieve stress on your knee. Hence, you must add strength training to your regime. You can start with squats and straight leg extensions in the beginning.
- Squats: Stand with your back against a wall. Now slide down, while keeping your knees over the ankles. Remember, you cannot let the knees go forward of the toes. Here hold for 10 to 60 seconds, and then repeat.
- Straight leg extension: For this, you have to lie down on back. With one leg out straight, bend another leg and lift straight leg a few inches off the floor. Hold up to strengthen.
Try a Foam Roller: To relieve the tension in the IT band, i.e. the thick band which runs from knee to hip, acupuncture and massage therapy can be helpful.
Be Active: To understand this, it is first important to understand that when it comes to fitness, everyone has different interests and strengths. Without a doubt, some particular stretches, training programs and cardio activities turn out to be more helpful. But you need to choose only those which cause you less pain.
Mix it well: You must incorporate new activities to distribute stress over all your joints and muscles.
So, this in all helps you creating a fitness plan which holds your interest. Also, it is challenging, and specifically focuses on joint flexibility and strength, which is really helpful in healing your pain!