It’s a fact that fungus widely occurs in nature and in our bodies too. It is highly infectious and can easily be seen on the skin, taking different forms.
According to Ayurveda the dampness grows during rainy season. The ‘agni’ or the body fire or digestive power that is minimized during summer, further lowers and gets vitiated by doshas that get vitiated due to changes in weather, like increased humidity, dampness, coldness, etc.
Ayurvedic tips to keep healthy in humid conditions:
- Detoxification therapies such as Vamana and Virechana should be carried out.
- Asthapana basthi - An enema of herbal decoction has to be managed to prevent humidity related health problems.
- The digestive system deteriorates due to dehydration in summer leading to low digestive power. Further, this is weakened by vitiation of doshas and dhatus because of increased humidity. Hence, diet that increases the power of digestion and strengthen the digestive system should be taken for health benefits.
- Sour and salted soups of vegetables.
- Drink boiled water mixed with little honey.
- Consuming little quantity of wine prepared out of grapes.
- Adding ginger and green gram in daily diet.
- Eating warm and fresh food.
- Do not walk bare foot. Make sure you wear dry footwear to keep away growth of fungus on nails and between toes. You should also dry your feet and webs with soft dry cloth after bathing.
- The clothes should be disinfected using fragrant herbs. Dry clothes in sunlight, even the beddings. Also drying clothes with fumes of loban and dry neem leaves is recommended in Ayurveda.
- Do not sleep in basement as it will be damp and can benefit molds and fungus growth.
- Fumigate the house with smoke of dried neem leaves in evenings for 1-2 minutes is an excellent Ayurvedic method to check the growth of microbes.
- Always keep the surroundings dry. Do not allow water to get accumulated around.
Ayurvedic Home remedies for Humidity related diseases
- Apply castor or sesame oil on cracked feet and skin.
- A freshly prepared paste of turmeric, neem and sesame seeds is recommended in ayurvedic texts for fungal infection between toes and webs.
- Drink warm water mixed with a tea spoon of honey empty stomach. This will help your body flush out accumulated toxins.
- A pinch each of rock salt and long pepper powder mixed in warm water reduces cough.
How to reduce humidity at home
- Repair the area causing dampness or wetness at home. Leaking roofs, tanks and taps have to be repaired.
- Keep the rain drain free from blocks and allow the rainwater drain flow away from your basement.
- Switch on exhaust fans or vent fans after bathing and cooking.
- Do not dry clothes inside as it will increase humidity inside the home.
- Use a digital hygrometer to monitor humidity.
- Use a dehumidifier to bring down the humidity to 50% or less.